A scissors lift is a motorized vehicle that has a railed platform that is used to elevate people or equipment to a high place. It helps in accessing the inaccessible areas to perform a certain task. It has a lot of advantages but when used carelessly it can be hazardous. It is therefore important to make sure that before using it you are well conversant with how to operate it and the precautions to take
The following are the steps that should be followed when operating a scissor lift:
- You should first pull out the emergency stop button that is on the control panel.
- Select the option ?platform?.
- Enter the platform together with the tools that you may require in accomplishing the task you are intending to undertake.
- Pull out the emergency stop button on the control panel that is on the platform.
- The lift will take you to the required position and you can now proceed with your job using the required buttons, levers, and controller to move to the directions to need to move.
- The scissors lift has a high and low range of travel. In open travel ways, you can use the high range but you should use low range while in tight areas.
- If you are using the lift to apply paint, you should cover the platform, controls, and handrails to ensure that the chances of over spaying and splashing of the paint are completely minimized.
Below are the rules that should be observed when shutting down the scissor’s lift.
- Make sure that the platform is fully lowered.
- Proceed with pushing the emergency stop buttons.
- The next step is switching off the base key
- Once you are done using the scissor lift Ensure you clear all the tools, debris, and any other equipment from the platform.
- The last step is plugging the scissor lift to recharge the battery.
MEASURES THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN TO REDUCE HAZARDS
- Controls and components should be thoroughly inspected before use.
- The working locations should be well selected to ensure that you are working on a firm and leveled surfaces that are far from hazards that can cause lift instability.
- Make sure that you operate lifts when the weather is favorable e.g. Not in the rain, big winds, snow, etc.
- You should also ensure that the way you move the lift to and from is safe. With the lift always lowered not unless the manufacturer?s safe practices allow it.
- Making sure that the brakes are set and the lift is stable before raising it.
- Always ensuring that the lift is not overloaded.
- Work safely from the lift.